Friday, March 20, 2009

maple-roasted butternut squash

maple-roasted butternut squash. sounds so fancy but it's so easy to make. and made this way, it's so delicious. it makes for a fabulous side dish. personally, i could eat a whole plate of it on it's own. it's that good. it would also be a great alternative to the conventional candied yams you always make for the holidays! :)

mise en place

maple-roasted butternut squash
serves 6
1 medium butternut squash (about 2lbs)
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
olive oil to grease baking sheet

preheat oven to 400 degrees.

lightly brush a baking sheet with olive oil.

peel and seed the squash (use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin) and cut it up into 3/4 - 1" cubes.
place the cubed squash on the baking sheet and drizzle on the maple syrup. sprinkle on the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. toss it all together and lay out the cubes so they're in one layer and dot with butter.

bake for about 30 mins. or until the squash becomes tender and golden brown, tossing once during baking.


bon appétit~!

8 comments:

  1. Looks good! I recently tried some roasted squash with maple syrup and gorgonzola that I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is wonderful....the pictures are almost smello-vision..very aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butternut with maple syrup sounds so good! Almost like a dessert but guilt-free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something new to me. I will shoot it, but I don't think it will be as good as your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first time on your blog ... I couldn't resist the siren call of this maple roasted squash! I'm gonna use your idea to make my next batch of butternut squash soup. Gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about a print version without pictures

    ReplyDelete
  7. ey I tasted something like that some time ago, in one of my travel to Central America, one of my dad friends prepared this, but she prepared this but with normal honey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello i would like to read more about this interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete