Tuesday, May 12, 2009

smoky glazed asparagus

i love bbq season! when i got the june issue of food & wine i got all kinds of excited just thinking about all the burgers and steaks that will be coming off my grill this summer. but of all the bbq recipes, this one called out to me. probably because i'm trying to eat more veggies. but the mayo in the recipe adds fat to the asparagus, creating a slight crust when grilled. and u know how i feel about surface area ;)

mise en place

smoky glazed asparagus
recipe from food & wine
yields 6 servings
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (i used ground cumin)
1 lb thick asparagus

light a grill. in shallow dish, whisk the mayonnaise with the oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, salt and cumin. add the asparagus and toss. let marinate for 30 mins.

grill the asparagus over moderately high heat, turning until tender and blistered in spots, about 6 mins.
bon appétit~!

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog this weekend when I searched banana pancakes on food gawker. Today I went to the more recent posts and scrolled down to this one. I singled this recipe out of F&W when it came in the mail too. I also only had ground cumin on hand. I used skinny asparagus and thought they were great. I'm looking forward to seeing what other recipes you make!

    ReplyDelete