Monday, April 6, 2009

banana sour cream pancakes

this recipe comes from Barefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten, which was one of my very first cookbooks. these pancakes aren't particularly 'light & fluffy'. in fact, they're pretty substantial. more cakey and dense than your average pancake but not any less delicious. the bananas give the pancakes a contrast of texture which adds a nice creamy surprise. plus, it's a great way to use up those overly ripe bananas you have laying around!

mise en place

banana sour cream pancakes
from Barefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten
*her recipe says it makes 12 pancakes but i only got 10
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (i used 1 teaspoon table salt)
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk
2 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest (i made w/o since i didn't have any lemons)
unsalted butter
2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
maple syrup

in a bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. in another bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, mixing only until combined.

melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. use a 1/4 cup measure to drop the pancake batter into the pan. distribute diced bananas on each pancake.

cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles appear on the top and the underside is nicely browned. flip the pancake and cook for another minute or two, until browned.

wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. pancakes will stay warm in a preheated 200 degree oven for 15 to 20 miutes.

serve with butter, sliced bananas and maple syrup.

bon appétit~!

9 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the picture, I knew these had to be Ina's - I made a version of these for my extended family one Christmas, and they are STILL raved about. They truly put the "cake" in pancake; substantial things that they are. I've subbed in yogurt for the sour cream for a slightly lighter version, with success.

    Yours look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look fabulous. I love denser, more filling pancakes. I'll have to try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be making these this weekend. I would like to try substituting freshly ground soft wheat in place of all purpose and most likely use yogurt as well. Your picture makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMMM!
    Had to repost, they look so good!
    Will try them this weekend.
    http://momentumoffailure.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/banana-sour-cream-pancakes/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to start a day, I had this delicious pancakes yesterday, I followed your recipe word by word, delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I usually mix the banana right into the batter. I like the idea of slicing it over the pancake it looks delicious!
    Also, great picture of the stack of pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello i would like to read more about this interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been making these since 2010! Thanks so much for my go to recipe!

    ReplyDelete